Registrations that you who get yourself a holiday home or a permanent accommodation in Spain need to do

Residency in Spain

Residency in Spain Lawyers

We are legal professionals specialized in providing expert guidance and assistance to individuals who wish to obtain residency in Spain. With our in-depth knowledge of Spanish immigration laws and regulations, these lawyers help individuals navigate the complex process of obtaining legal residency in Spain.

Javaloyes & Suarez offers comprehensive services tailored to the specific needs of its clients. We provide advice on the various residency options available, such as non-profit residency, work permits, investor visas and family reunification visas. As lawyers we assess each client’s circumstances and develop customized strategies to maximize the chances of success of the residency application.

Our role includes assisting clients in compiling the necessary documentation, completing the application forms and submitting them to the relevant authorities. We also provide guidance on the financial and legal requirements associated with residency applications, such as proof of income, health insurance and criminal background checks.


The NIE number is a tax identification number for those who have financial interests in Spain but are foreigners. All foreigners need a NIE to buy a property in Spain, buy a car or open a bank account.

As it is an official document, it must be applied for in person at the foreigner’s expedition of the national police station, so we advise you to process it through a power of attorney, in order to avoid delays in obtaining the document.

At Javaloyes & Suárez we offer a complete service to apply for the NIE.

We take care of the whole process, you don’t have to do anything!


Registration provides the authorities with information on the number of inhabitants of the municipality and their composition. This data forms the basis for calculating the state resources distributed among the municipalities, which affect the number of doctors, schools, police, firemen, etc. in the municipality. Therefore, it is important for people to write, even if they spend little time in the country. Your municipality is also very motivated to get you to register, so it usually goes fairly quickly and is relatively straightforward.

Registered residents are entitled to:

       1.Services and benefits from the municipality
       2.Assistance from the social services
       3.Participation in all municipal activities such as culture, sports, courses, etc.
       4.Health care, adult education – a requirement to obtain the SIP health card.
       5.Participation in the “Imserso” program – social activities and leisure programs.
       6.Other services

Taking advantage of municipal services such as swimming pool, vouchers, gymnastics, etc.

Male census registration is required for all types of registrations, such as vehicle registration, identity documents, etc.

Permanent Residence Permit (Residencia)

As an EU citizen, you are of course entitled to reside in Spain on a permanent basis, but you must have a residence permit (residencia) which requires you to go again to the police station nearest to your home.

Spain has recently updated its rules on NIE/NIF and Residency. The official policy now is that “new” foreigners who want to either live or buy a house in Spain must fill out both form EX16 residencia/Registro Central de Extranjeros/ and form EX 14/NIE/NIF/. This applies regardless of whether you buy a permanent home, a vacation home or rent a home. Without having registered as a resident, you have no legal right to reside in the country for more than 90 days before returning to your home country. The alternative is to apply for a temporary or permanent residence permit.

A relatively large number of documents must be included when applying and it depends on your situation, for example, whether you are a pensioner, worker, employer, etc., but if everything is in order, you will obtain your residence permit directly on the spot.

As it is the law to be able to identify yourself in Spain, you must always carry a photo ID, which can be, for example, a Spanish driver’s license. However, it is not necessary to carry the residence permit, which is in the form of A4 paper, but for convenience it is recommended to always carry a copy of it.

Power of Attorney (POA)

A power of attorney is a legal mechanism by which a lawyer is empowered as your legal representative in Spain. Through this power of attorney, he/she is empowered to perform those functions that you need, such as:

  1. Apply for the NIE
  2. Buying or selling a property
  3. A mortgage loan
  4. Inheritance proceedings
  5. File taxes
  6. Represent your interests in court
  7. Open or close bank accounts
  8. Buy or deregister a vehicle in Spain
  9. Make modifications to a house
  10. Correct official documents
  11. Defend your home against occupations
  12. etc.

We can offer you the advice you need to prepare the power of attorney and its translation. If necessary, you can arrange a power of attorney in your home country through the Spanish Embassy or with a local notary. We will help you to obtain the certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country by means of the Hague-apostille stamp. Of course, we will help you with the whole process.

In Javaloyes & Suárez we are proxies for more than 10000 clients.

Call Us 24/7

Get Your First Consultation FREE!

Scroll to Top